This will be my 5th Marathon. I maybe a moderate runner clocking sub 1 hour in 10km (ala..ramai dah boleh buat dah)...SUB 2 hour in Half Marathon (ceh...lagi ramai dah buat..apa barang...)...but never, repeat...NEVER SUB 5 hour or NOT EVEN close to SUB 4 hour!!!
envy admired those who completed sub 5 hour marathon especially friends around me like ehem...(in no particular orders and no bad intention)...Diket, Nik, Ian, Syed, Shanaz (kot), Syuk, Syahsully, Nizam dan lain2...(just to name a few..nak mention semua mampus la aku...). They have been one hell of a powerful runners in town!! (Tabik Spring!!!)
I've been running since Dr Mahathir as a Prime Minister, better yet, Anwar Ibrahim also there...
I should develop some sort of mighty prowess to sustain the torture during the marathon...but NO..because previously I dont do marathon. The longest was Half Marathon. Then, the Marathon thingy just pop out of my 'serabut' mind. My first Marathon was SCKLM in 2009, 2nd in Putrajaya Marathon, 3rd in Energizer Night Marathon and 4th in Gold Coast 'Sepang' 2010. All the marathons I would suffer after 30th km (except in Gold Coast Sepang), the cramp at leg muscles caused me to walked...(hey, at least i'm moving...).
What went wrong? lack of training?..Nutrition? Lack of mileage per week? Lack of
The answer is...all of the above...
Yes, "preparing for a marathon, after all, is no easy thing. It is a big, big time commitment, and for most it demands vast amounts of energy - physical, mental and emotional. The pay-off, of course, is equally enormous. Enhanced strength and confidence are the treasures reaped by all marathon athletes, whatever their ability. Running a marathon is not something to be done lightly or without adequate preparation. It requires seriousness and dedication." (copyright ni)
Until this day I shall never underestimate 42km!! Respect the distance...
So, here are my plans :
1) Run Smart - berpakaian kemas, rambut sikat tepi, seluar atas pusat?..NO....You should start slow, at least for the first 10km to 20km. Which previously I ignored (sort of..bukannya laju pun aku...then i suffered at 30th Km onwards...)
2) Train Smart - juga bukan berpakaian kemas semasa training...NO...instead of only long distance run (which i only did that in my trainings...alamak malu la mengaku..), the training shall include Fartlek (for speed and pace), Hills (for strength), Tempo Run (for speed and pace), Interval (for speed), The Long Run (for endurance) and Easy Run (recovery).
I knew this already, but where got time to train (alasan..)
3) Eat Smart - bukan makan ikan hensem atau ayam hensem..NO..instead of just carbo load (which i did previously...melantak nasik dengan Ikan je..a week before race)...take supplement like glucosamine...take ORS few days before the race (Ultra Nik's advice) ..yang lain2 rahsia but halal food....
4) Hydrate Smart - beli camelbak yang baru...NO...during run i should drink bit by bit the electrolyte...and not to drink when you feel thirsty (a sign of dehydration). That is why i will bring my hydration pack this time around and see how it goes...(buang air atas jambatan la aku..). It will also get rid of muscle cramp or at least delay it a little bit...
5) Mental Smart - bersihkan otak selalu, kotor sangat tu...NO...(YES?)...Pray......the almighty will give you strength!!...They say the last 10 km you will run with your mind...(my mind shuts down last time)...so, tune up the volume of your MP3!!
There you go....simple plan. Remember : "Long Runs and Mileage will get you to the finish line,
Intensity in your training will get you to the finish line faster".
The secret plan :
2) A Little Encouragement
3) The Motivation I Need
Tshirt designed by Ijam & Gabbana (I & G)
And finally, I wish good luck to all runners for the upcoming Penang Bridge Marathon especially Full Marathoner i.e Me (ehem..), Zaki otoromen, Yim back to back mania, Zahrin Manggis, Shanaz the gorgeous, Doc Julin Nasi Ayam, Pui San the TNF, KD the Newton Jelir and Nadia tolldoll (maybe)....Half Marathoner i.e Deo (oi..dah boleh buat full la), Ray (superman) with a message "apa barang half marathon"..
Attention to fellow Regular Bloggers United (RBU) !- Kak June will open a 'Kedai Runcit' at 30th or 35th km in the middle of nowhere at the Jambatan Pulau Pinang. Start ordering your 'roti telur kuah banjir' now...Thanks Kak June!!
Bocor Rahsia : 'The Kiasu award' goes to Yim - Powerman 14/11/2010, Full Marathon 21/11/2010 (Penang), Full Marathon 5/12/2010 (singapore)...- nasib baik takde back to back punya race...
'The Half Kiasu award' goes to Zaki & Me - Full Marathon Penang and Singapore...ngeh, ngeh, ngeh..
IT'S FINALLY HERE!!
Received my race kit today.